lightkeeper under the blanket

Wednesday, September 7

monday morning's labor day/birthday/housewarming brunch was great. i arrived at 11 am and left around 5 pm....never did i think it would be an all-day affair. but it was really fun to see kids from school again. i think everyone is just biding their time until classes start (end of september for us). so there was lots of chatting and many bloody marys and other morning-type alcoholic beverages were consumed. plus, someone introduced me to another person as one of her best friends from school. it might sound silly, but i was sooooo happy and warm inside. for whatever reason, i find it hard to be friends with girls. it takes a special person, you know? and i miss all my girl friends from kenyon so much. i'm really glad i'm making that kind of friendship again.

then i came home and tipsily (?) put together some cabinetry. then i took a chance that i would run into someone i know and i strolled down to the neighborhood bar. sure enough, i got sucked into a birthday party for someone i didn't really know, but i knew her friends. it was fun. until...my purse was gone. there is no explanation. it was on the table in front of me. then, it wasn't. i have a suspect in mind...a guy who drunkenly came over and tried to chat us up. when we asked him about it he threw a huge fit, acted like a baby, and whined about how i was accusing him of whatever whatever. because he's black. that was disappointing because it truly left me no recourse to explain that he was the only person who had been at the table and wasn't there any longer. he was way too drunk to hear me out. i don't have time to babysit anyway. so, it's like this. in my purse? a lipstick (my favorite), my cell phone (insured), my driver's license (expired on my birthday), and all of two dollars. so whoever needed two dollars that badly can have it. i'm more angry because my mom made that purse for me! oh, and the lipstick. my keys and my 40 dollars were in my pocket and i didn't have my credit card or university ID or anything else valuable.

so, friends, email me your phone numbers because i don't have them anymore. i always forget to make paper copies of this kind of thing. until it's too late.

i'm still going to keep walking around the vicinity of the bar, looking in dumpsters, which is even less pleasant than it sounds in this heat. but otherwise i'm getting a new phone because it's insured. and i can buy another lipstick and i can make a new purse or have my mom make another.

in other news...i have a huge crush on a cashier at the supermarket. it's actually the third huge crush i've had on a cashier there. but this one likes me back! i can tell. plus he apparently has a great vocabulary...how often do you hear a guy use the word "draconian" in a one-minute conversation? so i wonder how often i can go through his line before it gets ridiculous and embarassing. (i went twice on labor day.)

9 Comments:

  • I have a hard time making friends with guys...it takes a special one.

    That sucks about your purse.

    falling in love with the check-out boy...it sounds like a romantic comedy movie...

    Meeting random people and being invited to random parties is always nice though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:15 PM  

  • today i went through another line b/c i was embarrassed. so i just stared at his adorable profile from afar. damn.

    By Blogger bipolarity, at 7:19 PM  

  • you would be great in the late middle ages with that whole, "courtly love" thing. The whole "honorable love is love from afar" deal...ok, minus the whole "love a married man from afar" thing...hm....anyway.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 PM  

  • On the up side, you have a literal anchor for the old "I lost my phonr number--can I borrow yours?" line. Who knows, coming from a gal instead of a guy, it might actually be novel.

    By Blogger Bigtooth, at 10:18 PM  

  • wow! that is great, I haven't heard that one before. That makes me laugh...coming from a girl, most of those one-liners sound much less sleazy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:31 AM  

  • yeah, that sounds better than "wow, you sure work here a lot."

    By Blogger bipolarity, at 9:56 AM  

  • when I worked at the gas station, there were a couple of (middle-aged pimps, scruffy ghetto boys and, for reasons not known to me, middle-eastern men looking for wives)guys that "hit" on me. The best line from all of them?

    "Yo! that blinking light on your nametag to tell people they have to of-age to smoke? That light really brings attention to your t-ts!" cue big smile cause the idiot thinks this is a compliment.

    that was the best one...most of them were just something like, "White girls love me" or "I'm Turkish, are you Muslim? Do you know any Muslim girls? I need a wife." or "yer real nice"-(this one was usually accompanied by a heavy stink of whiskey or Triple Sec).

    "wow you sure work here a lot" by comparison, sounds sweet and cute. I'd go with it so as to lead to more interesting conversation with words like, "draconian" thrown in.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:13 PM  

  • i wonder why you and i get the same kind of icky guys hitting on us...

    By Blogger bipolarity, at 2:59 PM  

  • maybe because we are generally nice to people, no matter what they appear to be or how they act or whatever...and then some creepy desperate guys take that as a sign that we are in love with them or something.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home